View Single Post
Old 12-24-02, 02:47 PM   #1
zarathustra674

Send a message via Yahoo to zarathustra674
Default CDROM missing files in linux and various other difficulties

Hey I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem with linux, Ive been searching the web for answers but so far havent found any. I install and reinstall linux, 98 and xp so much the both me and my computer are dizzy.

When i click on the cdrom link in gnome(havent tried with kde) some of the files are missing (mandrake 9 BTW) I dont know what the problem is, I have a bunch of linux how to's in pdf format that are a couple of directories deep, also some mp3's that are backed up on cd that when i try to list, using the cdrom link on the desktop, show up as files until you click on them then they disappear. Also sometimes the cdrom hangs (perhaps the automount or something?), when using the Nautilus browser in Gnome. It'll spin and whirl for a while then for a while longer. Right now im using xp, but im thinking about going back to 98 and linux. I really dont wanna give up on linux yet, but the more i use it, the more problems i have. For example, when i tried to download a plugin compilation from the xmms site, its like 10MB or something, it wont install after ive installed the nvidia drivers, because it tells me that files are missing or needed that pertain to open gl. the mesa files or something. Any advice or direction to where i can get some will be much appreciated.

Happy holidays to all who celebrate christmas. And a happy new year for those who start theirs on Jan 1. Happy this time of year to all..

Also I wish linux had a little more eyecandy I kind of like the themes in XP with style xp.. I know they probably hog a few resources, but Im not a hard core gamer, and aesthetics are good.