View Single Post
Old 02-22-05, 02:42 PM   #75
Subtestube
Anisymbolic

Default Re: DEvmaster.net article Hl2 vs D3 engine.

I see what you're saying NV40 and kind of agree... however...

... Quake 4 is in the works. As it's supposed to have a Multiplayer aspect akin to that of Q3, but with the D3 engine and Q2 single player, my guess is that that will take over as the showcase game for the D3 engine the day it comes out. While I agree that it's a shame that the D3 engine, being technologically advanced but lacking certain aspects, is being ignored a little, I really don't think that id ever planned for people to 'finish their game'. Doom 3, as far as they're concerned, is 2 things:
* A Game for sales. It's succeeded in this.
* A showcase for the engine, so that other developers will license it. We won't know if they've succeeded in this for some time, until we see if there are going to be a large number of games, ala CoD, released that use it.

I think it extremely unlikely that id actually care if modders use their engine or not - they're certainly not going to be selling a fan made water shader to those who choose to buy the engine, and any decent dev shop these days should have someone who's at least competent at writing shaders.

Least, that's my opinion.
Dr Possible: Core 2 Duo E6400 on Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4. Galaxy GeForce 7600GT. 2GB Corsair XMS 2 DDR2-6400 RAM (CL5). ATi Theatre 550 Pro. Windows XP MCE. All stored in Piano black Antec Sonata II, with a broken door.

Mobile: ASUS M2400N, Pentium M 1.5 GHz. 512 MB DDR RAM. Intel EXTREME graphics. Windows XP SP 2 / Ubuntu 5.10.

Ridiculous DOES not have an 'e' in it. It comes from "ridicule" and has less than nothing to do with the colour red.
Subtestube is offline   Reply With Quote