View Single Post
Old 02-23-05, 05:09 PM   #89
jolle

Default Re: DEvmaster.net article Hl2 vs D3 engine.

yeah quantum computers do all the calculations at the same time dont they? instead of one after another..
For example the multiplication table (or what its called in english) could be done instantanious as it does all the calculations at the same time..
while what we got now does 2x2, 2x3, 2x4 etc..

That sounds to me like you could toss as detailed scenes at it as you like, full radiocity with insane amounts of photo emission etc..
But then again that is 50-100 years until that comes around in any useful form i hear..
And even them it might be like Subtestube sais, limited in usefulnes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtestube
As for Radiosity and Photon mapping, I see radiosity as MUCH less achievable, partly because solving the form factor equations is just so horrendously heinous, and isn't nearly as inherently parallel as the photon 'shooting' equations.
There we are again with "hacks", its just a question of time until someone hacks up a trick that will work fundamentally different and be fast enough for realtime, but offer a similar result as real Radiocity, IE some color bleeding and stuff to make it "look" like radiocity..