View Single Post
Old 01-01-03, 11:02 PM   #1
redmoose

Question lockup and ascii junk with startx

When I type startx from the console the screen will flicker a few times then lockup with a screen that displays a bunch of different colored ascii junk and a red cursor block in upper left corner. The only thing that responds is ctrl + alt + delete.

This will only happen when APG is enabled, when Option "NvAGP" "0" is set it works fine, also with "nv" driver it will work. I have tryed both nvidia's agp and agpgart, both with same results.

My software is redhat 8.0 with kernel 2.18-18.8 , I have also tried the original redhat kernel, and the correct athlon 4191 drivers. They have been installed correctly. I have also upgraded to Xfree 4.2.1 with the same results. I have also tried the mem=nopentium boot option. I have had this problem for quite some time now and have seen it with mandrake 8.2, 8.0, and suse 7.2....

My hardware is a Duron 1.2ghz, PCCHIPS M810L (SiS730s chip), and a Geforce 3 ti 200 (64mb).

As for problem ideas, I am starting to think its a crappy motherboard. Ive heard some bad mouse configurations can also do things similiar to this but then again ive tryed starting x with that option to let x start if mouse fails. I am desperate to get AGP 4x goodness! Any suggestions/comments welcome.

I have attachedthe xfree logs from version 4.2.0 and 4.2.1.
Attached Files
File Type: txt xfree86.0.log-4.2.0.txt (19.8 KB, 150 views)
redmoose is offline   Reply With Quote