Have you tried to put a modprobe nvidia
command instead of that little script?
Well, I guess I hoped too much from the new release of NVIDIA drivers because they end by locking my system too. Here are my attempts to make it work:
For the installation, I have respected exactly the steps described everywhere on the net:
- changed the default running level to 3 in /etc/inittab;
- installed the NVIDIA drivers;
- adjusted the X server and the driver parameters in /etc/X11/xorg.conf;
- done a supplementary reboot in order to flush all the hard disk buffers;
- run startx -- -logverbose 5.
At the fifth step, the laptop hangs and it doesn't respond to any key or mouse events. Only a cold reboot reanimates it.
In addition to the description of the previous attempts, with this new version I tried to use the newly added option ExactModeTimingsDVI
, but the laptop locks either with True
or with False
But there is one more thing I tried this time with the Xorg nv driver. As you may see in Xorg.0.log.Xorg_nv_20050311, the EDID requests return these values:
(II) NV(0): clock: 65.0 MHz Image Size: 286 x 214 mm
(II) NV(0): h_active: 1024 h_sync: 1048 h_sync_end 1696 h_blank_end 1344 h_border: 0
(II) NV(0): v_active: 768 v_sync: 771 v_sync_end 777 v_blanking: 806 v_border: 0
Based on these values, I created this modeline:
Modeline "1024x768" 65.00 1024 1048 1696 1344 768 771 777 806 +hsync +vsync
which I added to the Monitor section of the xorg.conf. In this case, the X server doesn't use the normal resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels but it switches to 800 x 600. This makes me think there might be something wrong with the EDID infos because xvidtune with the Xorg nv driver loaded reports these:
HDisplay = 1024
HSyncStart = 1040
HSyncEnd = 1136
HTotal = 1312
VDisplay = 768
VSyncStart = 769
VSyncEnd = 772
Vtotal = 800
Am I wrong when I am thinking the EDIDs are not right or the EDIDs contain the maximum values?
I will attach to the message an archive containing these files:
- nvidia-installer.log_20050311 - the log file after the installation (but I saw it was dumped in the nvidia-bug-report.log);
- Xorg.0.log.Xorg_nv_20050311 - the log file produced by the X server configured to use the Xorg nv driver;
- Xorg.0.log.nvidia_20050311_ignoreedids - some infos obtained before the laptop locks with the X server set to use the NVIDIA driver, UseEdidFreqs
set to False and IgnoreEDID set to true;
- Xorg.0.log.nvidia_20050311_useedids - some infos obtained before the lock with the X server set to use the NVIDIA driver and with ExactModeTimingsDVI set to true;
- xorg.conf - the sample configuration file I used (the computer locks with or without the modeline using the NVIDIA driver).
P.S. I have forgot to say the 7176 drivers where patched with the NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-7167-1233959.diff.txt patch