View Single Post
Old 03-14-05, 05:06 PM   #117
mborgnia
Quadro4 500 GoGL

Thumbs down Re: 1.0-7167 for Linux x86 released

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_maxwell
Megadittos. I had to fiddle with ksplash to even get KDE to load. Once loaded, it is only a matter of time before the UI will freeze. I can inconsistently crash it surfing with Konqueror. I can cause the freeze consistently by running the Windows Firstclass groupware client with Wine but that could be a bit hard to reproduce.

I can tell you a bit more about this. I can ssh into the machine after X has frozen. The "X" process will be taking anywhere from 44% to 99% CPU. It will not respond to the plain kill command but kill -9 will terminate it. KDM then restarts X normally and I can continue with the desktop until it freezes again. The kernel itself seems to be unaffected; this can happen with X restarted remotely any number of times. There isn't anything in /var/log/kern.log or in /var/log/xorg.log. The machine is running kernel 2.6.10 and is basically an Ubuntu machine at this point.

The machine performed very well with the 6629 drivers. On the bright side, at least I can get full use out my pivoting LCD panel until my desktop freezes yet again.
The freeze is clearly KDE independent, it is happening to me in Gnome. But, unfortunately, the support team seems to stop reading this forum after the kudos...
mborgnia is offline   Reply With Quote