View Single Post
Old 03-18-05, 04:11 PM   #162
AlxMAX

Default Re: 1.0-7167 for Linux x86 released

Remember me? I am the one always saying that the nVIDIA accelerated drivers aren't working on his machine. Now I guess I have made a big step towards the goal! But there is still a big qustion mark right on the nVIDIA drivers!

Finally, I have made my laptop work with the 7167 drivers, somehow by hazard, but the way I did it is quite tricky. After installing the drivers as usual, I had the idea to plug a second monitor to the laptop and to configure the X server and the drivers to implement the TwinView. The first startx hasn't worked because it locked the computer. Since I had to do a cold reboot, the second idea was to enter the BIOS and to set the laptop to start only on the LCD screen. But the second startx hasn't worked either. So, since a new cold reboot was imminent, I entered again in the BIOS and I have set the laptop to start only on the external monitor (CRT). You can't imagine my big surprise when the third startx worked. Now I am writing these lines from my computer.

I haven't tested yet the laptop without the second monitor but set to start on CRT (even there is no monitor attached). So, finally, there might be a conflict between this setting in the BIOS and the nVIDIA drivers. Maybe the drivers get stuck just because they can't properly handle this switch. Or maye the bug is Dell's! Their BIOS is not handling well the requests of the drivers to properly detect the attached monitors. But then again, how comes the nVIDIA Windows drivers and the Xorg nv driver are working properly but not the nVIDIA linux drivers?

I guess this would be the last attempt to make the drivers work on my computer because I think I am very close to the explanation of the drivers not working on my laptop and, believe me, I did much more than described here on the forum. Besides, I have a PhD report to finish.

Now, here are the xorg.conf file together with the log file.
Attached Files
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (4.1 KB, 435 views)
File Type: txt Xorg.0.log.nvidia_TwinView_CRT_working.txt (34.2 KB, 300 views)

Last edited by AlxMAX; 03-21-05 at 05:30 AM.
AlxMAX is offline   Reply With Quote