View Single Post
Old 03-22-05, 06:10 AM   #29
Mehbody

Default Re: Is it worth the money? (TI4200 vs. FX5200)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneel Olivaw
To illustrate your feelings on your mobo:
"ATI's Radeon IGP 320 combined with the FIC AT-31 motherboard, to put it nicely, is a terrible platform. We haven't had so many problems with a motherboard crashing and giving us strange scores in years, which certainly makes our job interesting, but at the same time, makes us feel sorry for those out there who pick up this platform"
sorry for you bud.
I never saw that when I bought the mobo years ago, then I was just a lowly n00b in need of a serious kick in the head. I think I might have found something in the BIOS settings allowing me to overclock this duron, to about 1.5ghz, but that's not going to help at all, because it's the memory controller that is having it's fair share of problems (and the memory is too slow, methinks). I tested the 2 sticks of 256mb PC2100 in a friends computer, and although it was noticably slower then the 1gb usually in his box, it didn't crash or freeze like this mobo does with the 2 sticks in it. Long live the nforce and newer via/ATI chipsets, for they are probably much better then this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneel Olivaw
I recently made a few modifications to my GF's comp. So I looked through a lot of mobos and videocards. I think you would get a huge improvement in performance with one more stick of PC2100 and a mobo like: MSI KT6V-LSR SOCKETA KT600
Its cheap and reliable from what I read. And supports pretty much all socket A cpus.

Of course, changing your whole setup is a good idea too. But cheap ram and a cheap mobo could be all you need.

And again, I cannot stress enough the fact that Halo looks like crap and runs like crap on every setup I've tried. From P3 1.6GHz to P4 3.4GHz with crazy 1GB ram running at insane speeds, a testosterone shot GFFX 5900, with shaders enabled or not, there's just no way to make Halo run good. Gimme UT2k4 and FarCry over it anytime.
Thanks for the KT600 recommendation.. trying now to decide from a nforce 2 and that KT600 mobo.

Of course Halo is going to look and play like crap. I think that the microsoft game studios/bungie and the other company that helped with porting (gamebox?) made the port really crappy, forcing serious people to spend more money then needed for a super-highend computer or an Xbox.. That's my view on it, at least.
Mehbody is offline   Reply With Quote