View Single Post
Old 03-26-05, 01:07 PM   #1
gazelle

Default Green blotches - that's all I get (Knoppix, GeForce FX5200)

Toshiba Tecra M2 laptop, GeForce FX 5200. Running Knoppix from August 2004.

Output of uname -a:
Linux machinename 2.4.27 #2 SMP Mo Aug 9 00:39:37 CEST 2004 i686 GNU/Linux

My machine boots to runlevel 2.

Downloaded NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0.7167-pkg1.run
a few days ago (3/22/05). Executed the .run file, then compiled the kernel module with no problem. Note that the Knoppix kernel is compiled with GCC 2.95, but the normally available gcc is 3.3.5, so you have to use the "CC=/usr/bin/gcc-2.95" trick.

Edited /etc/X11/XFConfig-4, changed Driver "vesa" to Driver "nvidia" and removed Load "GLcore" and Load "dri". I have Load "glx" (it was already there).

Run: startx /usr/bin/icewm
Note: This command works fine with driver "vesa" or "nv".

(But with nvidia driver, ...)
Get nvidia splash screen, then screen goes back to a text mode with flashing green blotches on the screen. All consoles (switched via Alt/F2, etc) seem to be hung. I can recover the machine by Ctrl/Alt/Del, which reboots. this scenario is 100% repeatable - I've done it repeatedly.

Have not tried setting the machine up to be telnettable - so that I could connect in and kill stuff remotely. Maybe at some point I'll set it up so that I have a remote X session running (while trying to launch X on the console).

So, that's that. Any suggestions?

Note: Nothing interesting in the XFree86.0.log file. No (EE) errors. The log file always ends with: Fatal server error: Caught signal 11. Server aborting, which is, I think, caused by the server crashing when I reboot (via C/A/D).

Question: If I were to post the log file, how to do so? What is the accepted method on this board?
gazelle is offline   Reply With Quote