View Single Post
Old 03-31-05, 03:22 PM   #16
AlxMAX

Default Re: 1.0-7174 for Linux x86 released; the Dell Inspiron 2650 test...

Fresh impressions for fresh drivers!

zander: You are right: the 7174 drivers behave EXACTLY the same way the 7167 or 6629 drivers do on the Geforce 2 Go card! I was hoping that now, given the fact the support for integrated Geforce 2 GPUs is fixed, maybe the my Geforce 2 Go card should work. I am saying that because both kinds of video implementations have something in common: their video BIOS share the same flash chip with the motherboard and maybe they have the same initialisation mechanisms. But...

I have tried 4 configurations in order to test these new drivers. Before the test, I followed the classic installation steps: setting 3 as default level, installing the accelerated drivers, commenting the Load "dri" line in xorg.conf and setting to load the nvidia driver instead of nv. I rebooted the computer as an additional step in order to flush all the hard disk buffers (just to be sure there was no corrupted system file). The nvidia kernel module compiled and loaded without a single error (instead, I nocticed some warnings at compile time in the compilation report, but I guess it is an ordinary thing).

Now the configurations:
  1. First configuration: the standalone laptop, no support for Twinview. In the laptop BIOS, I have set the laptop to use both the LCD and the CRT monitor. After minor modifications to xorg.conf, I attempted to load the X server with startx -- -logverbose 5. The screen became black (the back light was still on), there was some hard disk activity, the back light turned off and the computer locked. The nvidia-bug-report.log_nvidia_primary_LCD_noTwinview.txt file attached contains the informations gathered by the nvidia-bug-report.sh command. The Xorg.0.log included in the report contains some infos before the lock and it is incomplete.
  2. Second configuration: the laptop, a CRT monitor attached and set as single active device, no support for Twinview. In the laptop BIOS I have set the laptop to use only the CRT monitor. With the same xorg.config file as in the previous step, I have started the X server. After some hard disc activity, I was able to see the face of WindowMaker and to use the interface as usual. The nvidia-bug-report.log_nvidia_primary_CRT_noTwinview.txt file attached ha the informations gathered by nvidia-bug-report.sh.
  3. Third configuration: the laptop, a CRT monitor attached and set as single active device, Twinview was activated. The only changes to xorg.conf consisted in the activation of Twinview. The laptop behaved the same way as described in the previous configuration. In addition, the drivers successfully detected the LCD as DFP-0, they activated it (actually, the drivers detected it in the previous configuration, but they didn't activate it) and the X server loaded successfully displaying the same things on both monitors. I have attached the nvidia-bug-report.log_nvidia_primary_CRT_Twinview.txt file produced by nvidia-bug-report.sh.
  4. Fourth configuration: the laptop, a CRT monitor attached, both the LCD and the CRT were activated, Twinview was activated. With the same xorg.conf as in the third step, I attempted to load the X interface with startx -- -logverbose 5. Both the monitors became black, the LCD panel light was still on, then there was some hard disk activity, the LCD panel light turned off and the laptop locked. This is the same behaviour as in the first configuration. I have attached for this config too a report, nvidia-bug-report.log_nvidia_LCD_and_CRT_Twinview.txt.

Now I have three questions:
  1. Why these drivers (and 6629, and 7167) behave this way?
  2. How comes the Xorg nv driver manages to initialise the LCD panel but the accelerated drivers fail to do it?
  3. Someone said the accelerated Linux drivers and the Windows drivers share at least 85 % of the code. The Windows drivers work without problem (both those offered by Dell and the nVIDIA drivers with modified INF file in order to recognize the Geforce * Go card). Are those problems situated in the 15 % of the code dedicated to Linux?