View Single Post
Old 04-07-05, 06:35 PM   #27
ChrisRay

Default Re: Everquest 2 high end system verses WoW high end system..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elderblaze
Server overhead, and whatnot should not be anymore CPU demanding then any other MMO guys, they all (MMO's) have heavy overhead when it comes to all the stuff egbtmagus mentioned. It's more likely that EQ2 has a ****ty T&L implementation and far to much geometry is being procesed on the CPU rather then GPU as it should be, they may have done this so it scales "Better" with slower video cards, but they dident do us high end folks any favors, thats for sure. And EQ1 ALWAYS ran better then EQ2. Im not expecting to run the game at max details and settings, never was. I can't get what I consider exceptable performance out of "Balenced" with water set to fast update and shadows off. For a long time in EQ1 I was forced to use the old models. But the game still ran well enough. When I first got EQ1 in 99 I was on a Celeron 300a @464 with a TNT1. The game performed great in comparison to EQ2 at the time. I dident start having problems until Kunark, at which point I got a Celeron 566@935 and a Voodoo 2. This also ran the game quite well up until Luclin when I got a 1.4 Ghz Thunderbird and Geforce 2. etc etc.. Your comparison is invalid, EQ'2s not doing somthing right, obviously when it comes to Geometry, it should not require the CPU load it does, somthing's not being offloaded like it should be.

Regards,
Mike
You really have no understanding of how MMORPGs are programmed do you?? WoW does the exact same thing that EQ 2 does when it comes to rendering polygons. For the longest time WoW engine synced its texturing with the CPU as well. Everquest 1 did the exact same thing until last year as well. They finally implemented true geometry assist with the DX 9.0 update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
Only for powergamers. Casual players enjoy the fact that they are rewarded for their time investment. I can't imagine how anyone could enjoy a game that they put over a hundred hours into and have only reached level 10, but maybe that's just me.

This is not how EQ 2 is at all. There are level 50's in EQ 2 as well as level 60's in WoW. There are actually plenty of them as well. EQ 2's level 20's are comparable to WoW higher level 30's and the 40's are comparable to low 30's high 20's on EQ 2.

I have been playing EQ 2 a whole week and I started over a new server. I am a already a level 21 monk and I only have played 3-4 hours a day. Thats also including a a reroll of a charactor at level 13 because I was un satisfied with the charactor customization. As a matter of fact. Everquest 2 vitality system is far more forgiving than WoW's rest system. 9 hours offline will give you 50% level vitality. This is because EQ 2's vitality system just gives you double experience to a certain point in your level. WoW's rest system gives you a percentage of rest experience based upon your current level. So It actually makes sense to play different toons and build up vitality in EQ 2 verses WoW.

Neither of these games are problem free. And they both have some problems which can really hinder your enjoyment of the game.
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members

Last edited by ChrisRay; 04-07-05 at 06:50 PM.
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote