View Single Post
Old 01-09-03, 09:15 AM   #1
ajaygautam

Send a message via Yahoo to ajaygautam
Default Asus A7N8X delux motherboard (sucks ?) - sound not working (Linux and win98)!!

Hello

I bought this motherboard and think I made a mistake. Anyone with me here ?

I wanted to have a Linux only box, so I got Nvidia stuff, who have been known widely to support linux and all (which seems like BS now). I bought the Asus A7N8X delux, with nForce2 (MCP-T) chipset, and MSI GeForce4 based card.

The video seems to be working, but I am stuck on the Audio subsystem. For the past 2 weeks, I have tried eveything I could get my hands on: OSS/Free, Alsa, nvaudio, OSS/Commercial etc... nothing works.

I got so frustrated that I took out my win 98 CD and installed it. But, my bad luck: I am not able to get the audio working in that too. Seems like the win 98 audio driver on the Asus motherboard CD is incomplete. The installation just fails ! I put in the install CD, start the nForce installation. It asks for the win98 CD, I point it to the correct directory, it finds the file, and pops-up a message: "Install Failed". Then it goes on to install "Microsoft Audio", reboots twice, and sound still does not work. Control Panel -> Hardware Monitor says it is not able to load drivers for the audio device and hence its not working. Happens every damn time I have installed (now about 7 or 8 times)

I went to nvidia site to download the latest drivers, but the web page:
http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=nforce_udp_winme_2.00
says:
Audio drivers will not install on the following nForce2 products: ASUS A7N8X and Chaintech 7NJS. Please use the drivers that come with these products to enable audio functionality.

I went over to www.asus.com which seem to have only the BIOS updates. I found a link to the driver, which is hosted off www.asus.com.tw which ofcourse is down (ping fails) !!!

Anyone else got this working ? Can anyone, who has the same motherboard zip up the CD and put it somewhere for me to download ?

Would really appreciate any help !!

Anyone got a contact number of Asus ?

Thanks,

Ajay Gautam

Last edited by ajaygautam; 01-09-03 at 09:20 AM.
ajaygautam is offline   Reply With Quote