Thread: Rh7.3 & Nforce
View Single Post
Old 08-07-02, 10:27 AM   #7
k0fcc
Joey Stanford

Send a message via ICQ to k0fcc Send a message via AIM to k0fcc Send a message via Yahoo to k0fcc
Smile SOLVED!

After trying many permutations of the official install instructions and the instructions listed here, I was able to get everything working on my MSI Nforce board.

I'll provide the steps for reference if anyone else happens to have this problem.

A few findings: [list=1][*]INSMOD will not load the nvaudio driver, I had to use MODPROBE. This was due to a licensing error in nvaudio[*]NVAUDIO is not loaded at boot time as you would expect it to be[*]Installing the 2.4.18-5 kernel via up2date BREAKS DHCP using NVNET[*]NVMASTER does NOT work (corrupt or something)[/list=1]

So, here is what I did, in order, to get my system working:
  • Install RH7.3
  • Install the Nvidia Nforce SOURCE RPM (it creates tar files in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/ )
  • unzip and untar NVNET *** ONLY ***
  • Make sure you have the kernel source installed in /usr/src, if not, load it from RH7.3 CD 2
  • go to /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/nforce/nvnet and issue 'make' and 'make install' (you shouldn't get any errors at this point)
  • reboot
  • At this point, eth0 (aka nvnet) will come up normally using DHCP. We'll tinker with non-DHCP settings under the new kernel.
  • Run rhn_register and then up2date. Suck down the new kernel & kernel source. If you don't use XIMIAN, suck down the rest as well.
  • reboot
  • eth0 will error during boot....ignore it
  • go back to the SOURCES directory and unzip and untar NVAUDIO
  • go into nvnet, make and install
  • go into nvaudio, make and install
  • run /usr/sbin/redhat-network-config, select eth0/nvnet and configure for a static ip (you can choose to reboot to see if it works as DHCP first, if not, just configure it for static here), then activate it.
  • go into /etc/rc.d/rc.local and add "modprobe nvaudio" as the last line. This loads the nvaudio driver, with a fleeting error message, at boot time. (it's actually the last thing loaded during startup)
  • reboot (optional)
  • Install Ximian if so inclined and update per normal
  • Turn on sound in Gnome (probably is alread on in KDE)

Hope this helps for folks...

Joey
k0fcc is offline   Reply With Quote