View Single Post
Old 01-12-03, 11:19 AM   #3
junkieclown
Helium Abuser

Location: Summers in Rangoon, but mostly in my evil underground lair and Volcano laboratory. though
Default definitely not the only one

Questions: What brand of RAM are you using?
(the asus manual mentions 3 kinds that are tested and verified by them. I am not using one of those 3)
Do you have a Windose system you can try the card with to see if it's OK?
(the asus manual mentions that putting the video card in or taking it out when the system is plugged in at all can damage the card. I think that's what the green diode on the MB is for. If the crashing behavior follows the card when used in a windows system, then there's been damage to the card.)
Is the Nvidia card sharing an interrupt with anything else?
I disabled USB2.0 on the MB to free the IRq for Nvidia's exclusive use -- still no joy. But maybe you have more stuff attached to your system than I do.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

My setup:
Asus A7v333 (non-raid)
AMD 2100+ cpu
512 mb Corsair XMS pc2700

Gainward ti4200 gf4 64mb ddr
-or-
Aopen MX200 gf2 64mb sdram

intel etherexpress 100 pro nic
enermax whisper 350 watt PS
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
With the GF4 ti4200, any OpenGL game crashes a few seconds after starting. The screen freezes with large blue and greenish blocky chuncks like a giant pixelized version from whatever frame it was just rendering. "Algae-vision".

I am using RH8.0 --have upgraded kernel to 2.4.20-ac2 to get latest chipset support.
Latest Nvidia driver + glx files (1.0-4.x). Haven't tried any previous versions like 1.0-3.x

I have updated my Asus BIOS to the latest stable version, with no change.

Using the Gforce 2 card, everything is fine. But slow rendering. Drop the Gforce4 in and no matter what I try I get the same crashing error-- chunky frozen screen in OpenGL, but X is otherwise ok in 2d. I planned to test the card with Windose tomorrow on a different system to see if it was defective. That is looking less likely, as you seem to have the same problem.

I Cannot find any BIOS options or driver options to stabilize the OpenGL operation. There is Agp drive strength in the BIOS but I don't know what I'd be doing there at all and I read that you can make your system unbootable that way. Hairy.

Actually I haven't tested turing off AGP altogether with the GF4. (What would be the point of a GF4 that didn't work on a AGP bus?)

Any Nvidia people want to comment about this?

Last edited by junkieclown; 01-12-03 at 11:45 AM.
junkieclown is offline   Reply With Quote