View Single Post
Old 05-11-05, 07:31 PM   #112
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Default Re: *** Official Guild Wars Thread ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slybri
I don't know why people keep comparing this game to WoW or EQ2. It's not an MMO at all! It's 3d Diablo without a singleplayer campaign. A Co-op RPG.

I guess they figured they could sell it as an "MMO without monthly fees" but that's stretching it a bit. In fact, I'd say it's a lie.

An MMO feels like you're living in an active, changing world. It a place that you go, not just a game that you play. A world where players are running everywhere and doing unpredictable things (like training Stitches to Goldshire, or blowing up the Auction house with a pet bomb.) Sure there's no camping mobs or kill stealing or ninja looting in Guild Wars. Those things only happen in MMOs. Guild wars is a co-op RPG with chatroom lobbies scattered around the map and a seperate multiplayer game. That's the difference, and that's why the no monthly fees.

I'm not saying it's a bad game. (the graphics are gorgeous! Like the man said..It's like walking around in a painting) Just that it's not an MMO.

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrank...eviewid=548395

Quote:
Watch out Blizzard, Guild Wars is a worthy contender to WoW's throne......... An excellent MMORPG and one that easily sits alongside Blizzard’s World of Warcraft at the top of the genre. A streamlined experience and excellent blend between PvP and RPG are the largest strengths of Guild Wars; if you have any interest in the genre make sure to check it out...

Its is a MMORPG game..
MASSIVE-MULTI-ONLINE-ROLE PLAYING GAME.. just that it doesnt plays exactly like some traditional MMOs games.. When it comes to the definition..of the genre IT IS a MMORPG game.. The game genres are merely labels used to make it easier comparison between the games ..To allow people know more or less how they play. But there are no rules set in stone that limits the way MMORPG games needs to be played. In the Future once performance is good enough expect Hybrid games using elements of FPS/RPG and RTS and with online support in a single game together.

Last edited by Nv40; 05-11-05 at 08:07 PM.
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote