Can someone point me to more information
(if anyone had organized it in one place on the net) about these things: nForce2 mobos, SATA disks
(I gave up on the mo-bo RAID on my GA7N400S-L and tried to set up the mdadm
software RAID) and RAID under Linux
Here is my experience, I hope it will help someone, but I am still looking for solution for my problems. I am not looking for exact answers here, but if someone knows more about it, feel free to let me know more about these things/problems:
- I tried installing the Debian "testing" (sarge) version (because it has newer packages and is almost ready to be released as the official stable one), and the first thing I learned was that the disk driver for SATA disks on the kernel included with sarge (2.6.8) is not good. You have to compile your own kernel because the "nv_sata" module was fixed in 2.6.9, or you can download a pre-compiled kernel and live with the fact that someone else decided which modules to be compiled in the kernel and which to be left as kernel modules.
- I compiled my own 2.6.11 kernel but that didn't help me fix the problems.
- the only way to make kernel see my SATA disks was to actually disable them in BIOS - yes to say that they weren't there, and then my kernel saw them, recognized them and started working with them (I can't remember if this was with 2.6.8 or 2.6.11)
- a good solution for the Linux RAID - moving the system to be booted from that technology is at http://psilocybe.update.uu.se/~jonas...x.pl/linuxraid
- a gread howto, but after I finished with that, my configuration can only see the first RAID I created there (md0) but I partitioned the SATA disks into several partitions, and at some point I manually created md1 and md2, but I can't see them no longer.
- when I try fdisk -l, no matter what I tried with the boot parameters for the LILO (e.g. append="hda=noprobe..." etc. ) the system only sees the md0.
- another strange thing is that now I have /dev/sda, /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc, and b and c are the actual drives, and /dev/sda is a phantom drive with only 8 megabytes size; when I read the docs of my SEAGATE SATA disks I discovered they had 8mb cache on them - so it seems that I can see one cache as the sda disk...
- the performance of the md0 is not bad - hdparm -t shows excellent results, much better than the IDE disk I had connected as /dev/hda (while it was visible).
Anyway, here it is, all impressions/information piled up, if someone knows more about these things, please share it with me, and if someone wants to play with these things, you may experience these problems.