HOWTO get NVidia driver working on GeForce cards in Solaris10
Although the NVidia readme says it supports Quadro cards only, I have it working like a champ on my GeForce FX 5200 card.
Here is how to get it working;
1. As su, run /usr/X11/bin/xorgconfig. Answer the questions as appropriate
and the program will create an xorg.conf in /etc/X11.
2. Run kdmconfig and change from the xsun server to xorg server.
3. Download the NVidia driver for Solaris from their website
4. Read the README and run the file as per instructions
5. Run /usr/X11/bin/scanpci and check the pci id of your NVidia card.
6. run the command update_drv -a -i '"pcixxxx,xxx"' where the xxxs are
filled by the values you got from scanpci command. Don't forget the
quotes ' and ". One thing to note here,scanpci gave me a PCI ID for my GeForce
5200 as 0x10de 0x0322. Entering it as '"pci10de,0322"'
failed. I had to go into /etc/driver_aliases and drop the 0 in 0322.
7. Finally reboot and enjoy NVidia 3d acceleration in all its glory on
Solaris. Dont forget to run nvidia-settings and check your options there
including cursor shadow