View Single Post
Old 06-23-05, 02:41 AM   #19
haynold

Default Re: Reduced Blanking on DVI-D

Hi:

Thank you all for your help. With the "ExactModeTimingsDVI" setting and the proprietary driver it works, but only kind of. When the image is still, all works fine. But when there is motion on the screen (e.g. the screensaver, a flick, or stupid animated banner ads) the areas in question start to flicker ("snow" in either red, green, or blue) like crazy.

Since this doesn't happen with still images, I'd assume the cable is innocent, and since the monitor does it just fine with analog input, the display seems to be ok, too. Which leaves the card as the culprit. I tried reduced clock rates, which work, but the problem gets worse.

<BITTER_RANT>
This experience, in all honesty makes me think about dumping my few nVidia shares and shorting some, too. The outrageously expensive (albeit older) Quadro card that came with my workstation would take special DVI adapters but support DVI only at a ridiculously low resolution which few Quadro users would actually want to use. The new card I got can be tricked into driving a pretty standard upscale DVI screen, but only when there is no motion in the image and only using an old version of the driver and an exotic driver option. And I'm being told by people who definitely know what they're doing that it doesn't work under Windows either. This in the year 2005. Does anyone know a graphics card, reasonably priced if possible, that can actually do 1920x1200/reduced blanking over DVI under Xorg without trouble?
</BITTER_RANT>

As you see, short of jumping the nVidia ship I'm out of ideas, but of course I'd still appreciate any ideas you guys might have.
haynold is offline   Reply With Quote