View Single Post
Old 06-27-05, 01:07 PM   #64
birdpup

Thumbs down Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
There are no plans to support FreeBSD amd64 at this point in time, but customer requests will certainly help prioritize future projects.
It is extremely disheartening to see that no progress has been made towards FreeBSD drivers over the last 6 months. I have been stating on Anandtech forums for the last two months that nVidia provides FreeBSD drivers while ATI does not, only to find out that nVidia has no plans to invest in amd64 FreeBSD drivers. Has nVidia not noticed all their nForce4 chipset and GeForce 6xxx GPU sales? The hottest systems right now consist of this arrangement for use in AMD64 systems. NVidia made an excellent decision to support the x86 version of FreeBSD and this was the whole reason I purchased my current system with the nForce4 chipset and GeForce 6xxx GPU. I expected nVidia to continue with their commitment towards excellence. The current outcome is unexpected and saddening. I am not able to support a company that does not support its users.

Someone earlier mentioned that ATI users have been able to get their 64 bit hardware to work. I see I now have a new recommendation for the Anandtech forums, which is entirely based on someone's poor decision in nVidia.

Where is the support? I thought this was a world class company and am very disappointed. I need to be more careful with my product recommendations in the future.

As stated on the FreeBSD hardware compatibility list for amd64: http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/amd...herboards.html

The Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard with the VIA K8T800 chipset is fully functional. Rather than blindly believe in nVidia's commitment to its customers, I will now have to be more careful in the future and give my consideration and purchasing power to the companies that deserve it most. NVidia is no longer such a company for me.

Last edited by birdpup; 06-27-05 at 01:33 PM.
birdpup is offline   Reply With Quote