View Single Post
Old 01-27-03, 12:29 PM   #1
AutoPilot
GeForce2GTS 64M

Question GeForce2 w/NVIDIA driver & bttv (video4linux) = mess

Am I the only person using a video capture card with NVIDIA graphics cards under Linux? (well, my friend and I)

I first experienced this problem on a friend's machine, but didn't dig into it enough at the time to know what was going on.

The problem is, when viewing video (through the TV tuner, direct video capture, whatever), the video on the right side of the window gets updated VERY slowly, to the point that it might as well just be cut off. You'll get stripes of video 1 pixel high occasionnally, it's hard to describe. If needed, I'll post a snapshot somewhere for people to see.

The problem does NOT occur using the open-source "nv" driver that comes with XFree86, I switched back and forth between them without altering anything else to verify this. It is definately specific to the NVIDIA supplied driver.

The hardware doesn't seem to matter, as my friend is using a Bt848 card, and I'm using a Bt878 card. He's using a Geforce2 MX 200 and I'm using a Geforce2 GTS. Both systems are dual-pentium-III 1GHz systems, though they have different motherboards. His has 2GB of RAM, mine has 1.5GB. He's running RedHat 7.3, I'm using 8.0. We're both using 2.4.20 built from the unaltered kernel sources (kernel.org), not the customized/patched-up RedHat kernels. I've seen this behaviour on his machine with many kernel versions though.

Everything else seems to work great... the 3d is phenomenal (Unreal Tournament and bzflag)... even the installation was a breeze
(source RPMs, can't get much easier).

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? I haven't been able to find anything using google in newsgroups or on the web.

Thanks for any help anyone may be able to offer.
AutoPilot is offline   Reply With Quote