View Single Post
Old 07-11-05, 05:02 PM   #16
SLippe
R.I.P. Babe Thread

Default Re: Help With Asus V9980 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
Sorry, Grunt, didn't mean to upset or confuse you.

I've tried all the drivers, and on my card NONE offer better performance than versions 56.55 and 56.72. I've just downloaded the 77.72, and it KILLED my performance. In my Ancient Castle3D screensaver, I got 0.00 fps regardless of what my IQ and resolution was set at. The same resulted in any game I tried to play.

Mine is the "revised" 5950 Ultra evidently, as it looks NOTHING like yours (it is the one you see at ASUS' website). I'm going to see if your BIOS version matches mine. If not, that might be ONE reason why my oc's are so limited. I just set my vcard to 515Mhz core and 1GHz memory this morning. Any time I went to run a 3D application, it'd result in the BSOD and a restart.

Are you running your agp slot at 1.5 or 1.7volts? I had to up mine in order for the 515/1Ghz to work while being stable.

If I can't get this sorted out with this card, I'll probably just upgrade to a 6800GT. I can get one now for less than $300- not a bad buy at all.

One other thing...

I'm interested in the Stereoscopic abilities that the GeForce line offers. Currently, the only stereophonic drivers I can find are the 71.22 from nVidia's website. But they require that you use the same driver version (71.22) in order for the ability to work. If I can't find

1.)an earlier stereoscopic driver that will work with the Forceware versions 56.55 or 56.72

-or-

2.)a way to make my vcard work with the 71.22 ForceWare drivers without taking a massive performance hit

then I'll just end up getting a 6800GT as I KNOW that gpu will work with both the 71.22 ForceWare and Stereoscopic driver.

In regards to my earlier post, I asked if you ever saw any visual "anomalies" with your card clocked that high. I asked because I got a ton with mine: colors would be missing where they shouldn't be, entire textures would be gone (rocks in a game wouldn't be textured at all in other words, and objects that were normally one specific color with apropriate shading would either be a different solid color or not colored at all, etc). After seeing the oc you achieved without error, and then the oc that you linked to, I'm starting to dislike MY 5950Ultra because of all the problems it is giving me.

I appreciate your patience and thank you for your willingness to work with me. I'm sure that there is nothing wrong with my card and that I'm just going about this (overclocking and the newer drivers) the wrong way.

Thanks again
Whew, that is a lot. First, I'm not mad or upset or whatever. Just passionate. LOL

My AGP slot has always been set at 1.5v in my BIOS. I actually asked about upping this in a thread on NVNews not too long ago, but the majority said it didn't make any difference on their systems. So, I have never set it to anything else.

You wanna hear something crazy? I am not in any way able to get my card that high in that link. However, messing with it more today, I am now at 574/1.06. Running stable since and my temps are only one degree higher @ 37'/33' C. However! After running the usual 4 benchmarks below, I gained points in 3 of them and lost in the other. I'm leaving it with the OC for now, and we'll see how my games perform. I'm not sure why you aren't able to overclock any better than that, but I wasn't able to either on older drivers.

Some factors that may or may not make a difference in performance. I have Fastwrites ENABLED in my BIOS (can't tell any difference with them disabled). I have all options that involve BIOS Caching and Shadowing DISABLED. I'm using my BIOS High Performance settings with the exception of setting the Memory Ration to 1:1 manually.

Yes, you have to use the same video driver as you have stereo driver, or at least that is the way I've always understood it. There should be an Archive of the older Stereo drivers on NVidia's website, I would think. I mean, they have the video drivers that way. I haven't looked, sorry.

Oh, another thing is referring to that link, is that they are using the 5950U like yours and not the bigger eVGA one that looks like my ASUS card. Weird. Let me know what you find out and keep in touch. We'll get ya goin' sooner or later!

SLippe is offline   Reply With Quote