View Single Post
Old 07-18-05, 11:34 AM   #14
signal3
Live Free or Diiiiiieeee.

Default Re: 1.0-7667 for FreeBSD i386 released

C'mon kot... whining and moaning won't help the situation any.

There are a myriad of valid reasons as to why there is no support for nvidia cards on FreeBSD/AMD64 yet. However, none of the reasons involve a conspiracy against FreeBSD/AMD64 users.

I'm pretty sure there is no support for nvidia cards on my old 200mhz Apple G3 running Darwin (which I still use on occasion), but you don't hear me crying about it. Why not... because I don't expect it to be supported.

This really comes down to an issue of managing expectations. As an early adopter of a new technology (i.e. the AMD64 architecture) you need to have realistic expectations. Think about it... AMD64 users (for now) are a tiny tiny minority. In addition, FreeBSD (on any architecture) is also a relatively small population. How can you honestly expect a top-notch driver on such a new and uncommon platform?

Referring to users as 'victims' is completely ridiculous. No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to run FreeBSD/AMD64 with an nvidia card. You have alternatives. If you are fed up with nvidia's lack of responsiveness then find another vendor (that will promise you what you want) and use their equipment. If you are fed up with FreeBSD/AMD64's lack of kernel functionality, then run Linux or Windows or Solaris or whatever makes sense for your situation. Better yet, you could add the features into the kernel yourself.

Undoubtedly, you've misinterpreted my statement regarding placing blame. I specifically said that I DON'T like to place blame and would rather give credit where credit is due. I don't like placing blame because the finger could so easily be pointed in nvidia's direction or FreeBSD's direction or the user's direction too, perhaps each is slightly to blame. No matter what, the fruits of a witchhunt are going to be spoiled. So, instead, I give credit to Nvidia and FreeBSD for providing FreeBSD/x86 drivers. This is a good thing. I don't see ATI releasing drivers for FreeBSD/x86 - do you?

Now, if we take a deep breath, think with our heads, and come back down to earth for a little while, we should see support soon enough... perhaps 3-6 month, perhaps a year. But, unless you break out your checkbook, find the right resources and make it your own priority you will certainly not get any guarantees.

Can you agree that we've beaten this dead horse enough? For crying out loud, every moment that we spend bickering could be spent researching the changes that are required of the kernel or reverse engineering other Nvidia drivers so that the hardware will be functional sooner rather than later.

In summary, you may have been using FreeBSD for 10 years, but you certainly haven't been using AMD64 for 10 years. And that is where the real difference lies. Intel x86 is a much more popular and mature platform than AMD64... this is the reason why a driver doesn't exist yet, plain and simple. As you said, "the drivers got created anyway -- because there was enough painful demand for them", unfortunately the demand for FreeBSD/AMD64 nvidia drivers just isn't as large as you think.

Trust me, I feel your pain, but for now we can only do one of two things - wait and see, or write the code ourselves.

Just my 2 cents
signal3 is offline   Reply With Quote