View Single Post
Old 08-08-05, 10:11 PM   #9
Victor Polo
Victor Polo

Send a message via MSN to Victor Polo
Default Re: Problem on using NVidia for 1AGP+1PCI cards to emulate 2 terminals.

Now I have made the following successful test (a temporary solution of the problem):

1. Created a XF86Config-init where every Devices uses the "nv" driver. Also, a specific layout for each terminal.
2. Leave untouch the original XF86Config-4, this means every Device using the "nvidia" driver.
3. Modified the /etc/init.d/gdm so when called it will do first:

X -probeonly -layout X0 -xf86config /etc/X11/XF86Config-init
X -probeonly -layout X1 -xf86config /etc/X11/XF86Config-init
X -probeonly -layout X2 -xf86config /etc/X11/XF86Config-init

After it, the gdm script is leaved as is. It means that first GDM will probe (start or turn on) using the "nv" driver to every cards, included the AGP. After, gdm will start using the original XF86Config-4, it means, using the "nvidia" driver.

Until now it works with the following annotations:
1. Just tested with 3 terminals. Not tested with 4 because I don't have another monitor+keyboard+mice.
2. The third monitor works only on 640x480 + 16-bit depth. I have not tested yet if it is a monitor's problem or something.
3. Not tested until now if the "pci=noacpi" on the grub start and the "PlugAndPlayOs=false" on the bios helped.

It seems that the problem is that the nvidia driver does not start correctly the video cards as the nv driver does. How can I solve it? Any ideas on how to probe the fourth terminal using gdm without using a fourth monitor+kbd+mice?

Is this way to start the cards right? Does it involves some damage to the video cards/monitors?

I'll keep trying to solve this. Any idea is accepted.

Victor Polo.

Last edited by Victor Polo; 08-08-05 at 10:28 PM.
Victor Polo is offline   Reply With Quote