Thread: 7676 probs!
View Single Post
Old 08-15-05, 12:25 PM   #18
tup34

Default Re: 7676 probs!

just found the answer as posted by : JimBass

Smile Debian solutions for x86_64 installproblems
Hello all!

I have found my way through some of the major PIA parts of the install of NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-7676.pkg2.run.

Some preface information -
I am running Debian testing on a custom built 2.6.12-4 kernel. Testing still uses XFree86 rather than xorg, so that could be a factor in why my solution worked.

I installed Debian testing from a netinstall CD, and it installed kernel 2.6.8-11. Even after installing the kernel source and kernel headers for this kernel, the NVidia installer would not install. I upgraded the kernel to 2.6.12-4, which is the newest stable version of the vanilla kernel. After I had the new kernel installed, I tried the NVidia installer again, and this time it completed with no errors. I was very happy, until I typed "startx" and had the no screen error come up. After reading the /var/log/XFree86.0.log, I saw that XFree86 couldn't find modules nvidia or glx. I tried /sbin/lsmod, and sure enough, neither module was listed. I did /sbin/modprobe nvidia, and then nvidia was listed in /sbin/lsmod. startx again gave the same errors however, neither nvidia or glx was found.

A hyper long and painful google search as well as a search through the forums here came up with many suggestions, but nothing specific that would fix it. A post from 3 years ago pointed me in the right direction however. The XFree86 system looks for the drivers and modules it needs in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/. Unfortunately, the NVidia installer does not place the nvidia modules and drivers in that directory, it places the nvidia drivers in /usr/X11R6/lib64/moules/drivers/ and the glx info in /usr/X11R6/lib64/modules/extensions/. All I needed to do to get things running is to copy the files into the location where XFree86 looks for them, with these commands -

Code:

cp /usr/X11R6/lib64/modules/drivers/* /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ cp /usr/X11R6/lib64/modules/extensions/* /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/

cheers jim and every one else who helped me out!
tup34 is offline   Reply With Quote