View Single Post
Old 02-08-03, 10:47 AM   #19

Default Re: Linux retarted??? I'd say yes...

Quote:
Originally posted by silentdragon48
For reference here is what I'm running:
Red Hat 7.2 Kernel 2.4
CPU: AMD T-bird 1.333 GHz
Vid: Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti 4200

I used to run a slower setup with an SiS6326 attached to it. And I used to be able to get RH to start Xserver without a problem. Howerver, I got tired of that card and upgrading. While upgrading I had to blow away my install of Red Hat for my Windows files.

So, this is on a fresh new install of Red Hat 7.2 and Xserver just won't load. I downloaded the NVchooser.sh script and ran it and the thing told me to download 2 files: 1) NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.i386.rpm and 2) NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.rh72up.athlon.rpm. I went through the README.txt file too and did the install (you know rpm -ivh blah blah blah ) and it came across just fine. I tried configuring XF86Config in my /etc/X11 folder but the thing still won't run. If anyone has any helpful hints or a copy of a working XF86Config file that would be a great help.

Heck at this point I'm open to anything at all, any advice (maybe a tech. manual) would work.

If it would be of any help the next time I'm in Linux I could try to start Xserver again and copy down the error message and post it here, just let me know what will help so I can use Xserver in Linux again.
Thanks,
~SD48
Once you learn how to install Nvidia drivers properly you'll soon learn that Linux is anything but retarded Hardest part is learning to install drivers, here's my hint: Use the tar.gz method and search for some of my posts. I'm sure I have the instructions posted somewhere.
3777 is offline   Reply With Quote