View Single Post
Old 02-10-03, 03:11 PM   #1
Temporal

Unhappy Which Linux should I get.

I have 2 PC's. One lousy one (AMD K6-2 500[Underclocked to 400]) with an ATI Rage IIC (Only drivers are 2D), Nic card and an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ with a kickin' NVidia GeForce4 (TV out), firewire, usb, bluetooth, NIC... just basically my dream PC. My problem is I can't use it. It's in one room and my lousy PC is in another. I have permission to put in my own hard drive and linux on it. So basically two questions.<HR>
#1... Which linux do I use... I've been thinking SUSE(By process of elimination) but someone complained about the current linux driver not working with the non-bugged kernel. <BR><HR>

#2 How do I get the power of my Living Room PC through my ethernet cable (2 NIC cards and a crossover cable) to my lousy pc. I just want to send 2D images because... Well even if there is lag... serving the video is still faster then letting my ATI Rage IIC (Not) Handle it. The CPU would be forced to do ALL the 3D encoding and... that just won't do. Keep in mind that I still need to be able to use the power of the NVidia and the processor. Basically all I'm trying to do is use the lousy PC as a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and maybe parallel port because I have the wickedest controller (PSX). I haven't even installed it yet because... well... XP isn't cooperating. It won't use the modem and my mother (who really didn't even pay for the PC!) is really LOUD. So basically when we argue I lose... and go partially deaf. I can't get the networking under XP/98 to work so I'm going to install linux on both machines via FTP. Now a new problem arises.

#2.5 A small other problem that I have is that I use MSN servers to get to the internet. Their PPP servers may give me a bit of trouble when installing. If anyone has the solution... just tell me. I want linux really bad and want to learn OpenGL programming.

# Eratta: Also if anyone has the linux drivers for those buttons on those keyboards that use Airboard Manager (Wireless IR 3 button) I would appreciate it. And I'm not sure if the Modem on the other one works so if anyone knows how to have modem data sent through ethernet as well as everything else I mentioned... Speak UP.

# Speaking of speaking. My little tip. For the ViaVoice RPM go to the XVoice yahoo e-group and search for download. Not sure if it's the full thing or an upgrade. It begins with www6.ibm.com/ Have a nice day.