View Single Post
Old 10-18-05, 05:41 PM   #34
Subtestube
Anisymbolic

Default Re: Jack Thompson's at it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msxyz
Youth crime rate is going down (at least in the US); this would prove that evergrowing market of videogames has not affected at all the crime rate among minors.
As much as I agree that the videogame market hasn't changed crime much, that's not necessarily causal. Sure, there's a correlation, but you could easily assert (and have no real evidence to the contrary) that without the video game market, crime would've gone down even faster. I should stress - I agree that video games have stuff-all to do with crime. At the end of the day, people need to take responsibility for their own actions (in my opinion), but figures such as this don't necessarily make a logical attack on the oppositions arguments - they merely weaken their plausibility.

EDIT: Admittedly, that attack on plausibility is pretty significant. They can't have it both ways on this front. If they want to claim that video games have a huge impact on the temperament of those who play them, and if there's been a negative correlation between video game production and crime, they'd have to assert that there was some causal link. If they claim that video games have no impact on the decreasing crime rate, how can they make a valid claim that video games are such a negative influence at all?
Dr Possible: Core 2 Duo E6400 on Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4. Galaxy GeForce 7600GT. 2GB Corsair XMS 2 DDR2-6400 RAM (CL5). ATi Theatre 550 Pro. Windows XP MCE. All stored in Piano black Antec Sonata II, with a broken door.

Mobile: ASUS M2400N, Pentium M 1.5 GHz. 512 MB DDR RAM. Intel EXTREME graphics. Windows XP SP 2 / Ubuntu 5.10.

Ridiculous DOES not have an 'e' in it. It comes from "ridicule" and has less than nothing to do with the colour red.
Subtestube is offline   Reply With Quote