View Single Post
Old 02-11-03, 04:05 PM   #2
Cheshiremackat
Crush K8

Default Here is how I did it (little different)

Here is how I did it on the weekend, little different than above, in some ways better, some worse... I would suppose this is the way to do it if you either want a 'clean install' or do not have Linux already installed... I will be brief, as I am only including the info that is 'non-standard' (ie. read how to edit the XF86Config file in the above post)... I did this on a Asus A7N-266VM

1) somehow get the redhat isos (self explanitory), and the Nforce -0248 drivers (rpm) and the Nvidia 3123.src.rpm and 3123.src.rpm... I used a zip disk for the drivers...

2) when the Redhat installer screen starts, type "linux text"... I could not get the graphical installer to work

3) Choose a custom install... install everything that is default, plus the "kernel development" packages

4) Do NOT set up Xserver...

5) Reboot, at the command promt log in and SU to root...

6) move to the directory where the nforce drivers are...

7) Install the Nforce driver first... (rpm -ivh Nvidia_nforce*)

8) Build the kernel and glx drivers... rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA_kernel* &NVIDIA_GLX*...

9) Reboot

10) Kudzu will inform you of all kinds of new hardware... choose ignore...

11) at the command prompt run redhat-config-xfree86 --set -driver nvidia THIS IS KEY, the program will crash without specifying the --set -driver nvidia part...

12) Edit the XF86Config file as per normal (/etc/X11/)

13) edit the /etc/inittab to change default mose to 5 from 3 (see above post, do in reverse)

14) Edit the /etc/modules.conf and change the Sound-Slot-1 to Sound-Slot-0 (zero) i810...

15) Check your HD performance... as root /sbin/hdparm -tT /dev/hda and chack the output... then try /sbin/hdparm -c1 -d1 /dev/hda ...then rerun the /hdparm -tT /dev/hda and look for a performance change... (should be significant)... if the numbers are better than add the /sbin/hdparm -c1 -d1 /dev/hda to your rc.local file... (so it works every restart)

16) SU to a normal user

17) STARTX...

I know I have been brief... consider this an update to the excellent guide for nforce chips and redhat 7.3... I would suggest reading that guide first, then seeing how I altered some of the steps to get 8.0 working... any questions, just ask...

_CMK
Cheshiremackat is offline   Reply With Quote