View Single Post
Old 10-23-05, 07:22 AM   #3
Son Goku

Default Re: Toying with the idea of moving stuff to Linux

Thanks. I guess the question then would be if there would be an appreciable performance improvement getting the nVidia drivers then. I will need to get the ATI drivers for sure, the generic radeon drivers in the kernel stuck me with 1024x768, or at most 1196x768 with 55 hz refresh (yuck, the blury/fuzzy look gives me eye pains and a headache at 55 Hz refresh). I know my monitor (and also the Radeon 9600) can support 1280x1024 x 32 bit color at 75 Hz refresh (and Linux is only using 24-bit, aka no Alpha channel), as that's what I have it set to in Windows. The monitor can support 1600x1200 at 60 Hz, but again I don't like the refresh so low. I'm gathering the ATI specific drivers will fix my available resolution/refresh settings.

Anyhow, I did get it installed (the base OS, not anything compiled on it yet). A few issues I had noticed thus far, and things some others might run into, so it might be worth mentioning.

- The default driver (and Slackware, which Slamd64 is a port of, over to the Athlon 64 instruction set) by default installs the basic IDE kernel. As I have SCSI drives, this doesn't work, and cfdisk fails with a fatal error. Going back in and selecting the adaptec kernel (my card is an Adaptec 29160 Ultra 160 SCSI card) fixes this. Some reading I have done suggests people with a SATA drive (and those installing from a USB CD drive) will also need another kernel, though some might want to research that before going ahead if they have this...

Hitting F2 gives a list of kernels one can check against to see what looks more appropriate. In my case at least, the correct kernel wasn't auto-detected.

- The first time I went through setup, it never asked me for menus beyond the first series of apps. Also when done, the lilo.conf file wasn't properly written to the MBR, and I was warned of this. Without rebooting, I restarted setup again, and this time all went as expected, it did ask me for the other packages, and did install Lilo correctly. As I selected the same exact options, don't ask me what was going on.

BTW, I do have Linux installed on a second hard drive, aka

/dev/sdb

however the boot drive (which has both DR-Dos and winXP on it is

/dev/sda

That might have something to do with the glitch, unknown.

- Ironically, the built in gigabit ethernet adapter on the MSI Neo 2-F here works fine under Slamd64, but for whatever reason Windows XP Pro wouldn't play with this, even with all drivers installed, and device manager saying all was well. This confirms it's not the mobo, but something with XP, don't know what. Anyhow, unless I switch it to the other adapter, it seems for now I'll have to move the NIC cable between the integrated NIC, and the PCI NIC I added when winXP wouldn't play with it, unless I switch Linux to the add in card.

- A bug that is mentioned in the slamd64 forums, I very much am seeing here. It has to do with shuting X Windows down (I don't have problems starting it by issuing a startx at the command prompt, as some others have), the computer goes to a black screen and locks up, requiring I hit the reset button. This of course isn't good, as without a proper shutdown the file system could get potentially corrupted.

As an interum fix, I should be able to (and can test) switching to another terminal (ctrl + alt, or was it shift + alt, and one of the function keys), and then issue a shutdown from there I suppose. Don't think it should matter too much that X is running when doing a shutdown -r now, as it should just get the kill signal with everything else. Haven't tested though.

One other note for some who might try an x86-64 version of Linux. On the browser, some are indicating that one will need to have 2 copies of their web browser, as some plugins (Macromedia Flash for instance) won't play with a 64-bit browser. For that one will need to compile a second 32-bit counterpart, where those plugins are needed. Wine is apperently the same way. And to do that, one will have had to make sure to select the backward compatible, 32-bit libraries for gcc, and issue a -m32 compiler switch (I guess during config) when compiling something for that. I haven't messed with any of this yet.
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote