View Single Post
Old 02-11-03, 08:51 PM   #13
Hellbinder

From VE3d...

Quote:
The point HardOCP makes (and which I believe is a valid concern) is that they don't fall back to PS 1.3 (i.e supported on Geforce 3 & 4 cards) but instead fall all the way back to PS 1.1. So of course the ATI cards have an advantage over most Nvidia cards in the tests that use the pixel shaders.
This is the problem Nvidia has spread Nothing but misinformation for years. And it continues. PS 1.2 and 1.3 do not increase performance at all. it has No effect on the number of passes it takes to render a shader. Never has never will. Nvidia DAMN WELL KNEW that the dx 8.1 spec was going to be PS 1.4 and that it was a subset of the comming PS 2.0.

Whos fault is it??? Thats right THEIR OWN!! Now They are going to cry and whine like little babies? 3dmark 2001 used PS 1.1 and took no real advantage of PS 1.4. ATi said nothing, and Nvidia pushed it as the best benchmark on earth. They did not even peep about the lack of PS 1.2/1.3 in the SE release. Why? like i said PS 1.2/1.3 is for show and tell only. makes no difference at all. Notice not one game has ever included ps 1.2/1.3 not even for a single small effect???Now its all different.

For the record....
Cards that support PS 1.1
GF3
GF4
GFFX (when it ships)
All exactly the same only clocked different for model variations.

Cards that support PS 1.4
R 8500
R 9000
R 9500/9500 pro
R 9700
R 9900 (in a coupple more weeks)

Most of the ATi cards are also DX9 where Nvidia does not even have a SINGLE DX9 card out yet. No wonder their scores suck. The Other Question they raise about Vertex shaders. Ati cards have a QUAD vertex engine and Nvidia only supports an array of 3.. whos fault is that??? They cant even win the DX9 Shader tests with their PAST DX9 super card clocked 200mhz FASTER than anything else. Again Whos Fault is that???

I really honestly hope that most people and web sites see through this and do whats right. Not pandering to Nvidia, they dont deserve it.

Edit: Doom-III and several other comming games are using PS 1.4
Hellbinder is offline   Reply With Quote