View Single Post
Old 10-27-05, 01:13 AM   #1
AJCrowley
I fought the law

Default 81.85 = Death on 6800GT

I've been having trouble with the 8100 series of Forceware since it started circulating in beta, and most recently the 81.85 WHQL. While running these drivers, Windows will freeze a few seconds after I log in, and if I leave it for about 30 seconds, the computer will reboot. I've tried these on a brand spanking new and sparkly clean install of XPSP2 (so no conflicts with existing ForceWare installs), and the problem persists, so it doesn't appear to be related to any software outside of the drivers. It also seems to cause problems with my Directshow, and after updating the drivers (this may be coincidental), I cannot watch any MPEG4 or MPEG2 based video. Rolling back the drivers to the 7800 series allows me to regain the use of my computer, but Directshow still refuses to correctly render video.

I am running (nothing overclocked, everything@stock speeds:
XFX 6800GT (AGP)
XPSP2
Intel P4 2.8GHz
ABIT IC7-MAX3 Mobo
1gb OCZ PC4000 RAM

I can't think of anything else that may be relevant, but please let me know if there's any more info I could provide that may be of use. Normally, I wouldn't care, and would continue to use the old drivers, but there's a number of fixes in the 81.85 for games that I play, as well as the concern that I may be doomed to never be able to use drivers newer than 78.82.

Thanks in advance for your help, this is driving me out of my mind.

AJ
AJCrowley is offline   Reply With Quote