View Single Post
Old 11-08-05, 04:07 AM   #22
stearic

Unhappy Re: 81.85 = Death on 6800GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCrowley
I've been having trouble with the 8100 series of Forceware since it started circulating in beta, and most recently the 81.85 WHQL. While running these drivers, Windows will freeze a few seconds after I log in, and if I leave it for about 30 seconds, the computer will reboot. I've tried these on a brand spanking new and sparkly clean install of XPSP2 (so no conflicts with existing ForceWare installs), and the problem persists, so it doesn't appear to be related to any software outside of the drivers. It also seems to cause problems with my Directshow, and after updating the drivers (this may be coincidental), I cannot watch any MPEG4 or MPEG2 based video. Rolling back the drivers to the 7800 series allows me to regain the use of my computer, but Directshow still refuses to correctly render video.

I am running (nothing overclocked, everything@stock speeds:
XFX 6800GT (AGP)
XPSP2
Intel P4 2.8GHz
ABIT IC7-MAX3 Mobo
1gb OCZ PC4000 RAM

I can't think of anything else that may be relevant, but please let me know if there's any more info I could provide that may be of use. Normally, I wouldn't care, and would continue to use the old drivers, but there's a number of fixes in the 81.85 for games that I play, as well as the concern that I may be doomed to never be able to use drivers newer than 78.82.

Thanks in advance for your help, this is driving me out of my mind.

AJ
I've had the same problem. Not sure what the cause was exactly, but i know it had to do with the 81.85whql drivers. If i was in clone mode my setup was fine but the minute i went dual screen extended view boom my computer froze. I know my video card isn't crappying out on me as i have no problem with the latest ones in linux in dual monitor mode. Well i thought that i should re-install my OS as it was still a fresh install as i was re-installing anyways and i installed some older drivers and bam it works fine. I think it's a problem with the latest drivers. Could be an issue with abit mobo's but i'm not exactly sure. I do have an abit mobo the IC7-G and i'm running a Leadtek 6800nu card. So hopefully this is caused by the drivers and not our hardware going bad.
stearic is offline   Reply With Quote