Old 11-21-05, 07:42 PM   #12
jimmor

Default Re: 5900xt with PCI-e bios

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyg
Ok, here's the quickest rundown I could come up with:

1. Got card, installed it
2. Installed drivers (7x.xx series)
3. Installed Riva tuner to enable overclocking (there are easier ways but this was quick)
4. attempted auto overclock from Nvidia control panel - failed immediately as in no overclock possible.
5. attempted to underclock core in lower increments but failed EVERY time
6. attempted same with mem but failed EVERY time
7. ran 3dmark03 with default clocks and got horrible graphical glitches
8. reflashed card with AGP specific bios
9. EXACTLY THE SAME RESULTS AS ABOVE

So the original thread about wondering if this is a bios issue appears to be invalid - both bios versions did the same thing (PCI-e and AGP).

So unless someone has some other idias, this is sounding like a trip back to the vendor is in order.

I should also state that the previous card in this system was an EVGA 5900se and it worked perfectly with the same drivers until it had an unfortunate accident.
As previously posted, the inability to overclock with either driver coolbits or rivatuner is completely down to an issue with an internal clock test; especially with 7xxxx series drivers and up !

However on your graphic glitches problem: since your setup worked ok with a 5900se, it should obviously work just as well with a 5900xt, unless,

1) you changed something else other than the vga card

2) you didn't properly clean out old drivers first (best tool is drivercleaner pro v1.2).

3) by coincidence something else has gone wrong with your setup

4) your new 5900xt is actually faulty !!! The kind of graphical fault you are seeing is usually down to something wrong with a memory chip(s). But can also however sometimes just be down to people pulling at them or splashing too much AS5 over or around them. But if this is not the case with your card, then maybe it should simply be taken as a faulty new card. Especially since it shows same faults in another computer ----> so take it back !

5) Also, you say you managed to force a flash ----> since flashing a bios is very easy, maybe you have a bad flash ?

Just for interest, below are the flashing commands for any FX59xxxx series card using nvflash versions 4.41 and 5.13:-

Flash the bios in DOS using nvflash.exe v4.41

nvflash -r (removes any protection)

nvflash -b ORIGBIOS.ROM (saves original bios)

nvflash -u -p -f BIOSNAME.ROM (flash new bios file)

And note; the -u -p command switches will ensure a flash regardless of any ID mismatches, so always just select to continue.

Or,

Flash the bios in DOS using nvflash.exe v5.13

nvflash -r (removes any protection)

nvflash -b ORIGBIOS.ROM (saves original bios)

nvflash -4 -5 -6 BIOSNAME.ROM (flash new bios file)

And note; the -4 -5 -6 command switches will force a flash regardless of any ID mismatches, so always just select to continue.

But also because of DOS filename restrictions, "ORIGBIOS.ROM" and "BIOSNAME.ROM" must have no more than 8 char's in first part of filename and no more than 3 char's in extender part, otherwise DOS will not recognise the command.

Intel P4 3.2 @ 3.85GHz (ASUS P4C800E-Deluxe)
BFG 6800GS (16x1,6vp) @ 300/430/1200.

Driver, 82.12 :-
Aquamark3, 75039
Codecreatures1, 90.8
3Dmark05 v120, 6195
3Dmark03 v360, 14334
3Dmark06 v102, 2949
3Dmark2001se v330, 23793.
jimmor is offline   Reply With Quote