View Single Post
Old 11-25-05, 04:26 AM   #4
dwynter

Default Re: K8N-DL won't boot Centos 4.1 after install

Well amazing how ASUS has kept this quiet. After wasting 3 whole days trying to get this to work they answered my question after a 10 day delay. Simply sending me a list of known problems (which I had not found by googling for info on this problem). Here are the sections that relate to my K8N-DL:

Network and other devices randomly stop working when ACPI is enabled
This problem may be caused by an incorrect ACPI table entry that causes the timer interrupt to be incorrectly configured.
If the kernel console boot trace (viewable using dmesg) contains messages such as these:

..MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IOAPIC
...trying to set up timer (IRQ0) through the 8259A . failed.
...trying to set up timer as Virtual Wire IRQ... failed.
...trying to set up timer as ExtINT IRQ... works.

then the incorrect ACPI table entry is present. On 2.6 kernels, this can be worked around by specifying the 'acpi_skip_timer_override'
boot line option. An alternative workaround is to disable ACPI in the BIOS or by using the 'acpi=off' boot line option.

2.6.x kernel unbootable on some systems
There is a bug in the 2.6.x kernel MP table handling that prevents install and OS boot on some systemsı.
This bug causes memory corruption upon detection of any PCI bus numbered higher than 32, and consequently
renders the system unusable very early in the install or boot process. On some systems leaving ACPI on during
boot fixes this problem.

There are currently no known workarounds for this problem, but a kernel patch for it has been accepted and
is expected to be included in future distribution releases.

ıAt the time of writing, the only nForce systems known to trigger this kernel bug are CK804 MP systems.

I hope this warns others off buying this motherboard if they intend to run a recent Linux.

David
dwynter is offline   Reply With Quote