View Single Post
Old 12-02-05, 05:03 PM   #2
deimos47ca

Default Re: Nvidia 6800GS AGP arrives next week

Excuse me, but that is just nuts.

First of all, you post and link to theinquirer (no less) with such certainty and trust, that few non-naive people even devote to mainstream media like cnn or bbc.

Do you have any doubts? The good old NV40 chip was made by IBM at Fishkill (New York) using 130nm.. IBM is moving away from manufacturing so unlikely they would take more orders(all AGP: 6800, 6800GT and 6800U are all the same die that was made by IBM). The chip used for PCIE 6800 is totally different and a separate die, made by TSMC 110nm, and hence the reason you hear all the PCIE people getting such good overclocks with their 6800's (6800GT and 6800U PCIE are a third die, which ironically, is still 130nm, even though the parts require higher clock).

The announcement of the 6800GS PCIE was very natural, because as I mentioned earlier, most people were getting very good overclocks (440.. even 460Mhz) thanks to the finer manufacturing process, which also allowed to do this without voltage increase and producing relatively little extra heat.

If nVidia does force a 6800GS AGP on the market, we can be sure that it will be small production (not many NV40 chips left), and like 6800GT and 6800U, will require higher voltage than the original 6800 AGP.

And ofcourse whatever benefits the 6800GS gained by using the 7800GT/GTX PCB, will be lost, because that is a PCIE PCB, and nobody is going to go out of their way to design a custom PCB for a few AGP consumers.

prognosis negative
(I'm a skeptic)
deimos47ca is offline   Reply With Quote