View Single Post
Old 02-20-03, 10:07 AM   #6
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

if a thread is deemed to be headed in an area that may not conform with the websites stated guidelines or into a sensitive area/flame war... it is then considered proper to close the thread to avoid further heartache and it does help the mod/supermod/admin in that they do not have to keep one eye on THAT thread while @ the same time doing whatever other duties they have on the website...

on the other hand if the thread is conctructive and is a forum to voice an opinion in a reasonable manner than it should not be closed...

considering the thread in question there were various comments made which were personal attacks which stooped far below the level set by Peter... I personally posted a couple of not so nice little tid-bits but I did not attack as vehemently as some others...

so long as the posters whose submissions were edited were informed as to why this happened... which I think was done... there should be little reason to complain...

besides it is the mod/supermod/admins perogative as to what they would like to do

however...

IMO I do not think that the thread should have been closed... especially for the reasons posted... the same can be said for peter.. he could have simply avoided the flame wars by using better judgement and posting more accurately or in more detail WHAT the award was based on...

the thread became what it was not just because of the award... but the reasons posted and then the defense of the reasons posted...

again perhaps a little more sensitivity on the matter could have made that thread stay open and perhaps this thread could have been avoided... and this probably applies to all of us.... no just to peter and the mod in question...

Last edited by Sazar; 02-20-03 at 10:16 AM.