View Single Post
Old 12-09-05, 11:42 AM   #96
CondorDes

Send a message via AIM to CondorDes
Default Re: 1.0-8174 for Linux x86 released

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
Enhancements to nvidia-settings will be provided in a future driver release. I don't believe that any NVIDIA employees stated that 1.0-8174 would contain such enhancements.
No, and that's the problem. (a) You never tell us what you're working on, and (b) when you finally do get around to issuing a release, it addresses none (or very few) of the issues that are being complained about on this forum.

What does "a future driver release" mean? The next release, or some release in 10 years or so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
Fixes for the composite extension's support in the nvidia driver are also planned for a future driver release. Please keep in mind that many compositor issues are not nvidia driver bugs, but rather X bugs, or window manager bugs.
This is the first I've heard of such bugs, and I follow (at least) some of the X developers' weblogs through FreeDesktop. Have you (meaning nVidia) made any effort to push these bugs back upstream? Can you cite mailing list messages or bug reports, please? (Not necessarily ones you've pushed, just ones that have caused problems)

If you haven't made any effort to connect with the X.org developers about the issues you're encountering in Composite, you have no right to complain.

Please don't misunderstand -- I have no intention of attacking you (or anyone else at nVidia, for that matter). It's just that nVidia is being very tight-lipped, and as a user that has been unsatisfied with the quality of your driver since the 6xxx series, I would expect to hear more about your plans for improving it.

Thank you.
CondorDes is offline   Reply With Quote