View Single Post
Old 12-16-05, 12:07 AM   #35
bkswaney
Mr. Extreme!

Send a message via Yahoo to bkswaney
Default Re: Nvidia 6800GS AGP arrives next week

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmanwithahat
i'm also a skeptic, like you said several things point to it not happening, #1 to me is that it's based on the 7800 GT PCB, which means that the "good old NV40" will not be as overclockable, and it will pretty much be just a hybrid between a 6800 and a 6800 GT, which it is anyway, but i think it'll lose it's overclockability if bridged down, and also, if it is the true nv40, it will have a hard time running at those clocks all the time, very few real nv40 chips can do 425mhz with great cooling (my card being one, i max at 420) and another point is that the 6800 GS is a total new chip in itself, the NV42 which is based on the NV41 (the native PCI nv40) so that right there kills the hopes of the "true" 6800 GS coming to AGP without a port, so the inquire must have reported it wrong, it's more like a 2nd wave of overclocked 6800's with new memory, i highly doubt it'll retain it's overclocking properties and it won't be just like the pci-express card when it does come out, if it comes out, basically it won't be a true 6800 GS either way you put it, and more than likeily it won't be using the 7800 GT pcb also, good luck with it if they come out though, not trying to rain on your parade, i'm just a skeptic

I talked to Fudo this morning and he seems to think it is coming soon.
But I'm leaning toward it being a bridged NV41 myself. I think this is why it's running a little behind.
Don't forget XFX jumped the gun and had it listed then had to pull it right quick. So we know it is coming.
I would love to just see a 7800GS that we could unlock pipes on. "hint hint Nvidia"
15.6 inch HD WideScreen
Nvidia 8200M-G 895mb
2Gig system ram
250Gig SATA 5400rpm HDrive
Vista Premium
bkswaney is offline   Reply With Quote