View Single Post
Old 12-17-05, 03:31 PM   #145
hmazuji

Default Re: 1.0-8174 for Linux x86 released

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcain
I 2nd this question!!

I waited and spent lots extra on my laptop to make sure I got the nVidia card simply because I felt they were supported better by their maker.

Was I wrong? Starting to look that way...

I've always bought and recommended nVidia to the tune of probably hundreds of highish-end cards (I work in IT). But I think this will be the last one I buy or suggest to anyone.
what?

and miss out on this ???? :
If a precompiled kernel interface is not found, you must install a linker prior to installing the NVIDIA driver.
If a distribution releases a new kernel after an NVIDIA driver is released, the current NVIDIA driver can be repackaged to include a precompiled kernel interface for that newer kernel (in addition to all the precompiled kernel interfaces that were included in the previous package of the driver).
the installer will check your system for the required kernel sources and compile the interface for you. You must have the source code for your kernel installed for compilation to work
The kernel interface layer of the NVIDIA kernel module must be compiled specifically for the configuration and version of your kernel.
You appear to be compiling the NVIDIA kernel module with a compiler different from the one that was used to compile the running kernel.
set the CC environment variable to the name of the compiler that was used to compile the kernel.
If the kernel is compiled with gcc 2.x, but gcc 3.x is used when the kernel interface is compiled (or vice versa), the size of rwlock_t will vary, and things like ioremap will fail.
exit the X server and kill all OpenGL applications
after installation, but prior to using the driver, you must complete the steps described in Chapter 3, Configuring X for the NVIDIA Driver.
The installer uses an ncurses-based user interface if it is able to locate the correct ncurses library. Otherwise, it will fall back to a simple commandline user interface. This option disables the use of the ncurses library.
To check what version of gcc is currently in your $PATH, you can examine the output of:
% gcc -v

gosh, i almost forgot how to get to runlevel 3. i actually remembered how to use vi. came back to me so unnaturally.

but the bottom line is you're right. purchasing the bleeding edge subjects you to experimental status. half expected this, doesn't make it right.
hmazuji is offline   Reply With Quote