View Single Post
Old 08-13-02, 05:01 PM   #8
dbhost

Default Depends on the system..

What I did to get mine working, with that same error message is...
I went to Mandrakesoft's website, and downloaded the patch.pl file from the errata page. It is the file download associated with K6 and original Pentium systems. I am not sure why it works but it did... anyway, grab that file, and reinstall (sorry but that is what Mandrake reccomended). Basically boot to CDROM, when you get to the first selection screen where it asks if you want to install or upgrade hit F1. On the next screen type patch and hit enter, then install as usual. Make sure you install the development stuff.
Post install go into software manager and make sure that anything gcc related and kernel source related gets installed. Also make sure make and rpmbuild are installed. Now go fetch the source rpms. Save them in their own directory. I called mine NV. Exit out of X by doing control alt F1, then log in as root and type init 3 to change your runlevel. You do NOT want X running. Log back in as root, or as a regular user and cd to root.
Next cd /home/username/NV (enter)
rpm --rebuild NV* (enter)
cd /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586 (enter)
rpm --ivh NV* (enter)
watch the stuff go by until it brings you back to the command prompt then..
vi /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (or whatever editor you prefer).
In the modules area make sure you have a line that says...
Load "glx"

And under devices make sure you change driver "nv" to "nvidia"
Save your work. Log out of root, then in as a regular user and startx. You should be looking at a pretty Nvidia splash screen as it gets the screen up and going, and you should be good to go from there...
Good luck. If your experience is anything like mine, you are going to need it, along with some patience...