View Single Post
Old 01-02-06, 06:25 AM   #24
fhj52

Default Re: Driver for Nforce4 in linux?

Hey Bernhard, ,
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaXXoN
Wow, i needed to pay 550 Euro (~ 660 USD) for the 1210 half a year ago
(cheapest source in Germany).
Well, it is less now at 395USD(slight price drop!) but is still, ithink, quite high. I am thinking about it... if the 8-port ARC 1220 version was 400USD then the decision w/b easier.
BTW, the 12-port, Arc 1230, is 805USD!

I had considered doing what you suggested earlier ( with (2) RAID 10 volumes using 8 drives ) but the problem is communication between datasets. I get stuck in Windows for long periods of time because of a few proprietary programs and, of course, the nearly manic playing of some game for a short while. I need to have some data shared but two different RAID sets won't allow that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaXXoN
I'm only having SATA150 drives, too. The SATA link is IMHO not the
bottleneck. However, SATA300 drivers also support Native Command
Queuing (that the 1210 can handle) and which should improove
performance at database or alike applications.

regards

Bernhard
The SATA150s I bought support NCQ although some tests I saw(storagereview.com) indicate it does not help and sometimes actually made throughput slower.
It appears that the truly distinct difference is because the SATA300 have a 16MB cache. If the SATA150 had 16MB, I think the speed difference would be nearly zero for all but rare applications/uses (but I have no proof of that since there are not any SATA150 16MB cache drives that have such tests).
I found one place that had tested sustained rates as high as 200MB/s for SATA150! If I get 100MB/s sustained I'll be pretty happy; 150MB/s or more will make me feel like king of the hill!

Your method, with the ARC 1210, is the shortest route to get there as long as they continue to support Linux, i.e., add deb distro such as ubuntu at some point. I have to give it some serious thought. The time saved in that implementation might make it worth it. I use UPS and always will (as I think every serious computer user should) so do not need the battery backup module($170).

I thank you for the input. It helps to sort out options.

To be completely frank, I am pretty PO'd at NV because NONE of this would be necessary if they had not obfuscated the truth about the onboard RAID controller. The thought that I am considering paying another 400USD to get what I thought I had already paid to get really jerks my chain. I could have, and probably would have, bought a different mobo at a lesser cost so there would be extra funds to buy the ARC 1210 or similar.

c-ya

---------------------------------
System: BFG GTX260^2 graphics but has ** TERRIBLE BLINKING OS **
SuperMicro H8DCi+AMI BIOS;dual Opt'285;8GB;LSI 320-2x w/ 6xU320 Fuji' MAXs in RAID 10; 4xSATAII on LSI 3041E for backup. Multi-boot Mandriva Linux, openSUSE, WinXPx64 & Win2k-AS; Creative Audigy2-Digital audio.
Gigabyte GA-2CEWH & NVRAID are GONE ... Finally!!
fhj52 is offline   Reply With Quote