View Single Post
Old 01-04-06, 07:07 PM   #13
fhj52

Default Re: Dual Booting With Linux in Raid

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker
I seem to be running in circles on this system, and I don't know what is the problem. Last night, on rebooting XP started giving what looked like a flicker of a BSOD and rebooted again. I couldn't seem to resolve it, so I decided to install XP on the IDE drive.
uh, oh. ...
Quote:
But it had a wild hair and decided to format the SATAs instead, so I lost everything.
Ohhhh, God. I feel your pain.
Win2k RC2 did something similar some years back. I am very sorry to hear it happened.
Quote:
Not being deterred, I tried again, and then it formatted the drive that it was supposed to, so I installed XP, and afterward tried to install SuSe 10.0 on the 2nd partition of the IDE, since it seemed that the IDE was the only drive that it could see properly. That install appeared normal, but upon rebooting after the first part of the installation, it couldn't proceed. I guess that I will format it and try again, maybe with a different distro, if any of them can see the drive.
My goodness, you do have persistence. Good for you!
Quote:
What is even stranger is that when I did attempt to install XP afterward on the SATAs, the installer could not see those drives. That may be due to the fact that Windows did not get rid of everything on them as I thought, because during the SuSe install it did see these with SDB1 as containing NTFS. I deleted that and haven't had time to see what would happen now. If all of this sounds confusing, I totally agree. I have never considered myself an expert on raid systems, but I have never had problems like these.
Well, consider that it might be the first time you have ventured into the unknown. Don't be too surprised by anything that might happen with MS WinXXXX. Really! They do not have a f**g clue of what they are doing if anything is not exactly what they expect. You _must_ do it their way or no way at all. MS is a marketing organization.( and very D* good at it, I will add)

Quote:
What I need is a detailed step by step tutorial specifically for my mobo. The manual instructions is quite barebones.
Nada; doesn't (and won't) exist. You and everybody who uses RAID are in an extreme minority although, it does seem that RAID 0, the only RAID that is not a real RAID, has become popular with the gaming crowd because of the small performance improvement. It might get past the point of everyone running whenever the word RAID is mentioned but not anytime soon.

For what it might be worth:
There are conflicting points of view about whether to install MS or Linux OS first. Actually, IMHO, either way works but there are tradeoffs to each.
The best for me seems to be to install Linux and make room for MS Win* at the same time. Historically, Win* will throw a bitch-fit if it does not have the first primary partition on a drive so format the first 4GB of the first drive as FAT32 and make it a primary partition. In the past I have only used 2GB but Win* is such a hog more is better; up to ~8GB is okay(ithink).
Then install Linux on, in order of best/easiest use
(1) another (physical) drive, leaving the first drive for Win*
(2) the same drive with a /boot partition included in the partitioning scheme. Install GrUB to the /boot partition, NOT the MBR. (/boot only needs to be 50MB or so but can be larger; some Linux OS want it to be >=120MB...)
After Linux is installed and you are happy with the installation, do Win* to the first drive primary partition. Win* will recognize that there is some other OS and add it to the NTLDR. It won't do it correctly so you cannot boot to "Other Unrecognized OS" but it will be there for later modification (which can allow using NTLDR to boot to Linux).
The key to (1) is that in your BIOS you have a choice of what to boot from first. If you have different drives, one will boot to GrUB and the other will boot to the NTLDR
This relives a lot of configuration/frustration pain because you can change the BIOS to boot into the OS of choice until you get each bootloader setup *properly* so you can boot to any listed OS from either bootloader.
The real *trick* to (1), for some BIOS, is using different types of drives. Some BIOS are stupid or lazy or ...whatever... and won't allow booting from just any IDE drive because they group all IDE(PATA) together. Same for SCSI and, IIRC, for SATA. However, if you have one OS on IDE(PATA) and the other on, in your case, SATA, you can select which to use: either PATA or SATA.
I did this for years with SCSI and IDE(PATA); Works like a fr*in charm.
The (2) also works but there is the difficulty that after installing Win*, it will boot from the MBR and there is no way from BIOS to get GrUB. Win*, as you know, is Master of the Universe so it takes over. Mr. Bill does not care if you have any other OS and in fact wants to make your life as difficult as possible to use it. But you can give the 3-fingered salute to Bill with a little prep beforehand. There are several different instruction pages available on the web for this method but this is the only one I have readily available at the moment:
http://software.newsforge.com/articl...023237&tid=130

(AFAIK, the procedure applies to any MS Win NT OS)
( This might help you too:
http://www.linuxselfhelp.com/gnu/gru...b_4.html#SEC14 )

It basically means that you need to do the dd work _before_ you install Win* so that after MS takes over your system from you, you can modify the NTLDR boot.ini to allow use of the "Unrecognized other OS" and get the system back under your control.
I cannot help you with it. I don't use it(prefer GrUB) and don't have a system here, as I mentioned before, with NV 2200/2050 on it.

One other thing that I did which you might to be able to avoid.
When I made the RAID 5 during the Linux install, I used ext3 as the filesystem. This is a good/wise thing because it is a journaling fs. However, MS, as you know, refuses to properly recognize ext3 even after the install is complete. It might be wiser to use FAT32 on at least part of the RAID and that way MS is more or less forced to recognize the SATA drives even during the install. ...

I also noticed that Win* (2k sp4, in my case) did not recognize the SATA which was resolved, mostly, by the installation of the NVIDIA SATA and RAID controller drivers, i.e., both being necessary. You will need to do that during the Win* install so prior to the Win* install, you will need to make a 3rd party drivers disk which contains the NV SATA drivers.

A real mess, huh?
Sorry that I cannot help more. Monarch Computer Systems contacted me by email today and told me the mobo sent to them was "not checked into the system" which I know is not true. It arrived yesterday at noon so I called yesterday evening for status and two different people pulled it up on the computer screen.
I probably won't be getting that mobo back - will be asking for refund if I don't get an email from FedEx tonight that the replacement is on the way. I don't expect the latter.

HTH

---------------------------------
System: BFG GTX260^2 graphics but has ** TERRIBLE BLINKING OS **
SuperMicro H8DCi+AMI BIOS;dual Opt'285;8GB;LSI 320-2x w/ 6xU320 Fuji' MAXs in RAID 10; 4xSATAII on LSI 3041E for backup. Multi-boot Mandriva Linux, openSUSE, WinXPx64 & Win2k-AS; Creative Audigy2-Digital audio.
Gigabyte GA-2CEWH & NVRAID are GONE ... Finally!!
fhj52 is offline   Reply With Quote