View Single Post
Old 01-09-06, 01:25 AM   #16
fhj52

Default Re: Dual Booting With Linux in Raid

RAID is a Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks
RAID 0 was defined in the original document but there is no redundancy and the point was made that the reason for using a bunch of cheap disks was to avoid spending thousands of dollars protecting data with other solutions which RAID 0 does not do... It is a RAID but not a real "Redudant" AID because it just spreads the data across the disks: if one dies all is lost.
JBOD is not RAID at all.

Sorry, but if doing a kernel upgrade is tearing things up, it won't help to use NTLDR. The NTLDR boot.ini will have a line that points to that which you just changed.

If GrUB is affected by a kernel upgrade, the OS must have installed it to the MBR. I have done many upgrades and a few kernel builds with zero problems with GrUB. I always install it to the boot partition on the disk, not the MBR. That has to be done during the install of GrUB, of course, and it is best to have a 120MB or so /boot partition for it.
(That's a pretty big boot partiition but IIRC, RHEL complains if it is less. Using only ~ 30MB is really big enuf unless you have a bunch of kernels and/or are doing kernel hacking/building.)
It is safer there and causes fewer headaches in the long run. Also, MS OS don't screw it up(or vice-versa).
It also has the advantage that if it is on a separate disk controller, say IDE, from the MS OS boot partition(MBR) which could be on a SATA or SCSI disk, the BIOS will allow you to boot to either boot loader by choosing the appropriate disk in the BIOS.

Well, I have done what I did not want to do and bought a different dual Opteron mobo that uses NV 2200 & 2050 as well as the AMD 8232. So chances are good that I will be taking a closer look at HARM in the near future. The only other option is to buy the HW controller and forget using NV RAID which I hate to do since I PAID FOR IT but sometimes one just has to cut the loss and move on. The time lost factor can become overwhelming...

There are Nvidia guides. Nvidia RAID Users guide and another(forget the name at the moment). They are pretty simple "do this and that" without many explanations. If you need to have the steps and basic explanations you can find them on Google for sure but I think NV still has them:
__ Forceware NVRaid_Users_Guide_v1.1.pdf
The newer version was renamed Media Shield:
ForceWare_MediaShield_Users_Guide_v.3.1.pdf
And a 15 page sales pitch which explains some things about the "Media Shield" NV is promoting:
01760-001_v02_MediaShield_090805.pdf

I know nothing about gigaraid. The only RAID controller I have seen in years that is tempting me is the Areca ARC 1200 series(e.g., 1210). It is a true HW SATA RAID controller with Linix, Solaris, MS and ithink even BSD drivers. It is also 400USD...

Good Luck!

---------------------------------
System: BFG GTX260^2 graphics but has ** TERRIBLE BLINKING OS **
SuperMicro H8DCi+AMI BIOS;dual Opt'285;8GB;LSI 320-2x w/ 6xU320 Fuji' MAXs in RAID 10; 4xSATAII on LSI 3041E for backup. Multi-boot Mandriva Linux, openSUSE, WinXPx64 & Win2k-AS; Creative Audigy2-Digital audio.
Gigabyte GA-2CEWH & NVRAID are GONE ... Finally!!
fhj52 is offline   Reply With Quote