View Single Post
Old 02-25-03, 02:18 PM   #1
Cotita
Nvidia God

Default Will 3dmark 03 ever become popular?

I think the reason why 3dmark 2001 became so popular is because of its MAX-FX engine. People tought there were going to be several games based ot that engine, unfortunately only Max-Payne used it.

Several review sites have reported that they won't be using 3dmark 03 as a benchmark, while other will just post them for reference but rely more on 3dmark 2k1.

Wether 3dmark 03 represents the performance of future games is questionable. We'll just have to wait and see.

How ever, I think that the majority of games, specially 1st/3rd person shooters, racing games, sports games and the like will probably use one of the already popular 3d engines, like Lithtech, Unreal and Unreal2 engines, the quake engine, AMP II, EAGL and last, but certainly not least, the Doom3 engine.

So to better reflect the performance of future games, I think that reviewers should use benchmarks that use those engines.

I know that if my pc can handle UT, then it should have no problems running Undying, or if my vidcard runs Alien vs predator2 then it should run No one lives forever2 quite well, and if my pc runs NFL2003, then it can run Fifa2003 or NFS6 or NBA 2003 without a hicup.

These are games people actually play, not a sinthetic 3d benchmark.

So in the end it doesn't really matter if the Radeon9999 Plus Ultra Hyper is faster than the geforceFX Warp25 Omega Turbo in 3dmark03, but which one is faster in real games.