View Single Post
Old 01-10-06, 11:26 AM   #3
EasyPrey

Exclamation Re: Simple Idea: Why not program ATSC modes right into the driver?

I agree that xorg people can do more. But it is obvious from your statement that you have never dealt with them.

Well, they just did a .1 update to their software. It took them over a decade to do that! Please see http://www.linuxedge.org/index.php?q=node/38

"Radical ideas" like you should not be an expert in video frame timing is lost on them. Their firm belief is that if you cannot put a scope to measure your monitor's refresh timing. You are too stupid to use a computer. WTF?

According to them, everyone needs to know the internal frame timing of a video frame. You just can't tell them 1024x786@60 Hz. That would make too much sense. No, users _have_ to know what are the sync timing (even though xorg can calculate it very easily in the driver).

The latest ATSC spec (rev (A/53), Revision D) is is a nice 104 page document. I suggest you read that, if you are ever having a problem sleeping. It is guaranteed to put you to sleep.

Back to the discussion. Sure xorg can do that (might take them 2 or 3 decades). But the nVidia driver can do it as well. It already does it for the analog output. Thats right. You don't need a modeline for that. nVidia takes care of that.

Why not extend the same courtesy to the digital signal as well?

Why do I have to became and expert in front porch and back porch timing just to display a simple image on my TV?

-EasyPrey
EasyPrey is offline   Reply With Quote