View Single Post
Old 01-19-06, 02:04 PM   #1
agent-j

Default X Server Hangs when I use nvidia Driver

Here's the story.
I have an nVidia Geforce4 MX 440 dual-head video card. I installed Suse 9.3 and got it working, as well as in Windows. I tried to upgrade to Suse version 10 and wiped out MS Windows, but the X server started flaking out. So I wiped out everything, and installed Suse 9.3 again. I'm still not able to get X windows to work with the nvidia driver, so that I can even get to dual head mode.

The Xorg.0.log file doesn't really show anything helpful. I was able to run the nvidia-bug-report.sh program, but it crashes as it scans the /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status file. I have run two reports. One that scans everything except for that directory, and one that scans it. For some reason it is also crashing when it scans the /proc/driver/nvidia/cards directory as well.

I also noticed in the log file that it something says that the module is tainting the kernel. I've seen that before, but it usually didn't make a difference.

I've done some searches and tried some things already. I've tried setting up Grub so that it doesn't use the framebuffer, and I've also set up the xorg.conf file so that it doesn't use AGP, or different AGP drivers, and that doesn't make a difference either.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

P.S. My nvidia-bug-report.old.log file (the log excluding the directory) was too big, so I removed the entries that duplicated dumps of my xorg.conf file and my Xorg.0.log file. If I've screwed something up, please let me know and I'll get the info.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (1.0 KB, 133 views)
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.old.log (90.5 KB, 120 views)
agent-j is offline   Reply With Quote