Thread: Multi-Booting
View Single Post
Old 01-22-06, 01:59 PM   #5
Bluekkis

Default Re: Multi-Booting

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker
Now, I'm more confused than ever. Perhaps I just misunderstood, but according to a conversation that you were involved in, was part of the reason that I changed mobos. Right now, I would like to skip over the aspect of whether the 2 drives are seen singley or as one. Even if the drives are seen as one, if the OS is installed in only a partition of the first drive, then how is the data organized on the second? Is the partition also mirrored, or does the raid utilize the entire drive anyway that it pleases? On a previous MSI board, with a VIA Raid Controller, it appeared that the raid function worked okay on Linux, but not on xP. However, I assumed that this was because I had chosen too small of a block size in the stripe array.
Problem is that linux and windows handle software raid differently. Windows sees it as one single drive while linux handles it as seperate drives that are handled over dmraid driver. This little difference on software raid handling makes linux unable to understand software raid made in windows and windows wont understand linux raid. I'm not sure if any kind of support for windows-like raid handling is done or in planning, but afaik you can't have both linux and windows on same software raid stack.
{kirin}[pfSense x86][VIA Eden C3 0,6GHz][256MB DDR][VIA UniChrome]
Bluekkis is offline   Reply With Quote