View Single Post
Old 02-27-03, 11:19 PM   #1
ychai4

Default nvnet.o driver resource conflict

Hello everyone:

I am writing because I can't seem to get my NIC and sound card working at the same time. I can load both modules, but they share the same IRQ, and when X is started the sound card starts to time out and is unable to play any sounds thereafter until a reboot. During the boot process, it takes the Nvidia NIC about 15 seconds to come online, but it works. Is there any to force the IRQ on the nvnet driver into a different slot, e.g. by some forced= parameter at load time? If I could do this it would solve the last problem I have with my new system.

It may be worth it to know that I have been unable to get the open source patch for the i810 audio driver to work on my system. The patch fails on my kernel, 2.4.18, at both hunks. However, OSS provides a workaround solution if you purchase their software, and this is how I have gotten the card working thus far. Here is the output of a make in the nvaudio directory:

cp /lib/modules/2.4.18/build/drivers/sound/i810_audio.c i810_audio.c
patch < i810_audio-nforce23.patch
patching file i810_audio.c
Hunk #1 FAILED at 113.
Hunk #2 FAILED at 279.
2 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file i810_audio.c.rej
make: *** [all] Error 1

Any ideas on how this could be fixed? Upgrading to a newer kernel is a big hassle for me... I usually just wait for the next OS release to do that. Perhaps I could just import the i810_audio.c file from a newer kernel and replace the one in my 2.4.18 source directory, then do a make modules? Does anyone know if that would work?

Last question: I have heard that hdd performance improves drastically with the open sourced driver for hdd controller that ships with newer kernels. Can I 'graft' that in as well to my kernel as a module or is it necessary to have it compiled in so that it loads at boot time?

By the way, on a completely unrelated topic that I do not expect an answer to yet am hoping for if someone knows: The kernel that ships with my distro does not have large memory support in it. My new system has a gigabyte of RAM, and Linux seems to only support just under 900 MB of this... it seems I may have wasted my money. Is there any way to get 4GB memory support into the kernel without a recompile (I assume the answer is no...). Hoping for a yes

Thanks all!

Michael
ychai4 is offline   Reply With Quote