View Single Post
Old 01-30-06, 03:50 AM   #1
mwdowns

Default 6600 256MB vs. 6600GT 128MB

Hello everyone. Nice forum you have here! Been browsing around and saw lots of interesting stuff.

I'm looking to upgrade my crappy Radeon 9200SE AGP card (I know, I know...I just didn't get the "never buy an SE card" advice until after I had bought the card!).

At first, I was deciding between a Sapphire Radeon 9600XT and an ASUS Geforce 6600. I was advised in another forum that I should go with the Geforce 6600 and that I should ditch the vanilla and pick up a GT. Upon looking at the benchmarch scores on Tom's Hardware, I decided to go the Geforce way (I use Linux a lot and Nvidia seems to be less of a hassle with Linux).

However, I am still stuck between the vanilla card and the GT. The vanilla card is one with 256MB RAM, while the GT has 128MB. Also, the vanilla card is about 6000 yen (around 50 bucks) less than the GT. The vanilla is about 110 bucks, while the GT is about 160.

My game playing habits do not lean towards the Half Life, Call of Duty side of gaming. I mostly play stuff like Civilization, SimCity, StarCraft, and (more recently) A Tale in the Desert. I might try out WoW sometime...seems kinda interesting.

Also, I am hoping to get a year-plus or two or more out of the card (trying to milk my Athlon XP 2500+ for as much as I can!).

My questions are these: am I going to kick myself in the future for not getting the GT? Should I just bite the bullet and get the GT? Does the 256MB RAM for the vanilla card make much of a difference between the 128MB for the GT?

Thanks for your help.

My computer specs: Athlon XP 2500+, ASUS A7V8X-MX, 512MB PC2700 RAM (soon to be 1280MB).
mwdowns is offline   Reply With Quote