View Single Post
Old 02-01-06, 01:56 AM   #11
mwdowns

Default Re: 6600 256MB vs. 6600GT 128MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle
Few things to remember.

You need a power supply that cranks out a lot of AMPS on the +12v rail.

6600GT AGP needs a power lead plugged into the card. Prefereably nothing else sharing the lead. Don't know if your current card uses one or not...

If you have performance issues, look into uninstalling and reinstalling the motherboard GART driver for the AGP bus. It's easy and is often the solution to performance issues.

Gentle
Thanks for the pointers, Gentle.

About the power supply...I have a 400W powersupply. I'm pretty sure I've got power to spare. My current card does use a power lead. I haven't opened up the case in a while, but I remember there being a lot of extra power leads. I should be OK.

I have no idea what you're talking about with the GART driver. But, if I have performcance issues, I'll be back!

One question: I downloaded the newest version of Nvidia's drivers. I'm going to assume that it would be better to use those instead of the drivers included on the CD that comes with the card. An OK assumption?

And I'm just going to use the ATI driver uininstall utility, turn off the computer, change cards, and then boot back up. That should get me where I need to be (as per installing the new drivers), right?
mwdowns is offline   Reply With Quote